Tuesday 29 March 2011

Talking to Customer Service


When my ISP was incorporated into the Virgin Media Empire I couldn’t have been more pleased.
My previous experiences of Richard Branson’s airline had convinced me that this was a guy who knew how to get things done correctly. Thoughts of many flights being pampered in his Upper Class seats and the trips to and from the airport in his chauffeur driven cars really convinced me that if this guy was putting his company’s name into the ISP things would not only get better but become world class. Unfortunately, this is yet to happen.
So I called Customer Service fully expecting to be eventually answered by someone on the Indian sub-continent with an impenetrable accent reading from a script that did not contain the answer to my query.  All I wanted to do was ask how I may access my account without agreeing to subject myself to more spam for the rest of my life. Yes Virgin Media, you may call it marketing information or whatever you wish; but to my mind, if I don’t want it I shouldn’t be forced to have it and I will call it SPAM.
Imagine my surprise when the call was answered by someone from the United Kingdom.  Unfortunately, the call was answered somewhere far North of Hadrian’s wall and I found the accent slightly more incomprehensible than that of the Indian sub-continent.  
However, despite my surprise things rapidly got back to normal.
1.       The answer to my question was not on the Tartan shaded script.
2.       She could do nothing about it except make a note on my account
From previous experience I know without ever having been on a Virgin Media training course that the true meaning of making a note on my account is actually “Virginspeak” for “that’s another punter we can forget about because we have dealt with it”.
Normally this is where I normally give in because this far into proceedings can take a long time.  However, having just retired I have plenty of time and asked to speak to her supervisor as I really would like to pay my bill. I shall listen to the music in the meanwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment